Immigration service announces fee waivers for fire victims


The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service is offering a fee waiver for certain replacement documents for those who have lost their residence or employment as a result of recent wildfire, as well as extended time for those that were prevented from keeping an appointment due to recent fires.

Free waiver requests may be submitted for the Application to Replace Permanent Resident card (Form I-90), the Application for Replacement Naturalization Citizenship Document Form (Form N-565) and the Application for Employment Authorization (Form I-765, May 27, 2008 version).


The citizenship and immigration services application support center in Goleta invites those in the affected areas who may have been prevented from keeping an appointment to come in whenever it is convenient.

Those who have lost personal immigration documents to the fires are encouraged to file form N-565 to replace their naturalization certificates.

“While replacing green cards or work authorization documents are an immediate concern, it’s important to remember that naturalized citizens may need to show their certificate to prove citizenship at some point in the future.

Naturalized citizens cannot replace passports, apply for a variety of benefits or register to vote without a naturalization certificate,” reminds the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.


The offices will remain sensitive to applicants who may be unable to provide documentation in addition to the required affidavit or unsworn declaration proving their inability to pay, and will also consider waiving the fee for the collection of biometrics, which is required when filing a form I-90, if requested by a customer affected by the wildfires.

All requests are considered on a case-by-case basis, officials said.